Monday 28 November 2011

Football Mourns

the loss of Gary Speed.

Gary Speed

Photo from here

He was somebody held in very high esteem in this house as are all the title winning Leeds squad from 20 years ago.  When the news broke yesterday I think we were all in shock as was probably most of the country.  I doubt we will ever know why he brought himself to suicide.  He was always professional when he needed to be so it goes to show that things are not always what they seem behind closed doors. May his troubled soul now be at peace and he is playing the game of his dreams up there with all the footballing heros who have gone before him.

I will always remember him as the floppy haired young player in this photo

 
Photo from here

I imagine the next home game will be very emotional for both players and spectators alike.  My husband and son are season ticket holders.  I would also imagine that there will be a permanent tribute at Elland Road eventually.

RIP Mr Speed

1 comment:

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a touching post. Thank you for sharing.
Rinda