Wednesday 28 October 2009

Twilight Merchandising - It's Bonkers

Now there is definitely a big merchandise opportunity/rip off out there depending on how you look at it. I'm looking at it from a rip off point of view (not by myself but by greedy Ebay people).

Anything remotely Twilight or vampire related has people flocking in droves. I saw the most gross pair of gloves the other day on Ebay and to be honest they looked like a pair of those cheap pound shop ones that somebody had splattered red paint on. Totally gross and not something you or I would probably wear but because the seller had put Twilight as the title they were selling like hot cakes.


Then I found this listing. It looks very very similar to the Bella's mittens pattern I found by Subliminal Rabbit. I think I would be rather miffed if that were my pattern somebody was using to make a profit instead of just for personal use.


Anyway I was browsing the counter thingy stats the other day just out of curiosity as to where my readers are coming from and which post they are entering the blog at. Twilight socks is the most popular entry point but they aren't even Twilight related as the pattern was written way before the movie became popular. So far I've only completed one and really must get around to the other at some point.


Yesterday this Knitty update hit my email - My Vampire Boyfriend socks.

Nice as they are I really don't relish the idea of making blood red socks just because they are called My Vampire Boyfriend. I really don't get it at all. I suppose it's so people will be more interested in making them and it is a 'now' title. Now if they were wolf socks I might consider it lol.


In all seriousness I will probably have a go at these but only because I like the intricate pattern and I will probably do them in a nice non vampire related colour.

12 comments:

Glen said...

Unfortunately, it seems that is what Ebay is all about - greed. I love your creations. TFS.

Jo said...

Ooooh those socks, dont care what the colour is they look waaaaaarm!

Some lovely projects on the blog!

Amber Letuli said...

I love the socks, they remind me of Christmas not Twilight.

Jen Martakis said...

hahahaha - wolf socks! lol

I know, Twilight mania...and it's only going to get worse. *sigh*

Mary said...

I'm not into the whole Twilight thing either.....did try reading the first book but just couldn't get into it! Great blog by the way. :)

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a great blog title! And I like your template, too. Hope to visit often.
Rinda
(from Shimelle's class)

Angie said...

I must agree I would be miffed. I suppose she has seen the money making oportunity ...and done something about it... and thats what seperates us, who never have money, from the Sugars and Bransons of this world ...sadly

Gennifer said...

If you make some wolf socks, I'm on board! :)

Linda said...

I am loving those red socks!

Denise said...

Loving the socks and your blog is great,found you via Shimelle's class :-)

Jeanne said...

I did like those socks too - but probably in another color!

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks